Friday 30 April 2010

One in Three

Having taken part in Race for Life the last two years running (pardon the pun) I'd read the statistic that one in three people will get cancer in their lifetime. I'd never really thought about that statistic in a tangible term though.

Me, my mum, my dad - that is three people, right? So statistically, one of us will get cancer in our lifetime. I hate it when numbers turn out to be right.

About three weeks ago my mum was diagnosed with a brain tumour and last week she had surgery to remove it. We now know that tumour is malignant (cancer) and my mum will have to have both chemo and radiotherapy to try and treat whatever cells of nastiness weren't scooped out in the operation.

We're remaining positive and have been pleased with the speed of diagnosis and treatment as well as utterly, utterly overwhelmed by the support for all of us from friends both on and off line. That support is definitely helping to keep us positive.

However, for me, I think it is still to fully sink it. Telling people about it sometimes feels like I am recounting a plot line from Holby City rather than talking about my mum.

My mum who I haven't always got on with but now my teenage angst is (mainly) behind me has been a big inspiration to me.

My mum who is amazingly intelligent in a number of ways and whose success always makes me strive that little bit harder for my own success.

My mum who didn't always do things the conventional way but did things without a fuss (unlike me).

My mum who has been a massive support to me and is an amazing Grandma for my little boy.

I know nearly everyone thinks their mum is the best mum in the world and I'm sure they are mostly right. Except, to me, obviously, my mum can't be beaten in that field.

I wish, of course, that this was all a plot of a hospital drama show and not happening to my mum, my family. But these things do and so we'll get on with dealing with it and taking the positive energy for the aforementioned amazing support as well as how well things have gone so far.

I'm now seeing those statistics as a real person and this year when I take on the 10km Race for Life (Kedleston Hall, Derby, 18 July 2010) I already know whose name will be the story on my back, and who I am running and raising money to help - my mum.

If you can spare a thought to hope this story has a happy ending I promise it is very much appreciated and if you'd like to sponsor me you can online.

No comments: