Saturday 25 July 2009

T-19.5 hours

Race for LifeImage by deadheaduk via Flickr

Last year I earned myself the nickname Champagne Perspiration for running (OK, walking) the Race for Life mere hours after stepping off a wedding dance floor.
This year I will be running (OK, walking) mere hours (alright, a day) after rising from my sick bed having succumbed to the disease de rigeur, swine flu. I'm still a bit sniffly but most definitely not contagious. This will not stop me from joining my band of Fat Girls and getting our active on for 5km in order to earn the money people have so generously donated via us to Cancer Research UK.
As an overweight asthmatic (and a great self-promoter I am sure you will agree) undertaking five km isn't as easy as it sounds. But that is part of the ethos of Team Run, Fat Girl, Run - to do it even though we know we aren't super-honed athletes!
I've been pretty ill for a week...more ill than I have been in a very long time. But that is nothing compared to the fight people put up against cancer every single day. By supporting causes like Cancer Research UK we can help more of them win.
I'm already feeling emotional about tomorrow. That may partly be down to it being the first time I will have left the house in a week. But mainly it is because, and get ready for the cheese, the hero that is every woman taking part tomorrow and the heroes whose stories are told on the dedications on their backs.
Thanks again to everyone who has supported a Fat Girl so far - the team total is now nearing £1000. And that makes all of you Big Damn Heroes too.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: