Sunday 31 January 2010

Top five: things learnt in training #2

So, grasping the training bull firmly by the horns I headed out again yesterday for training session number two.
With my three-year-old taking on the training partner role we set out in the bright sunshine for what was supposed to be a walk of a 10km circuit. I thought this would set in my mind the distance I'm aiming for in July. Nothing like seeing the whole of the desert before trying to move it grain by grain.
Anyway, we managed 8km. These are the top five things I learnt from it.
  1. Ten kilometres is a long way. A really long way. A really really long way.
  2. Surprisingly good tunes to train to include Belle and Sebastian Sleepyheads and St Etienne Join Our Club.
  3. Yesterday was a really beautiful cold, crisp, sunshine and blue sky of a day with a hint of Spring in the air. Even with the physical struggle of making it as far as I did it sure is good for the soul to get out and about.
  4. So adept am I am moaning that with each mile that passes another made-up malady strikes. Yesterday I was mainly suffering from a popped lung (a dramatic spin on the not-made-up asthma) and the conviction that I have one leg shorter than the other and this is what makes my back hurt (right leg shorter if you're interested).
  5. That however big a challenge I have given myself by deciding to do the 10km it is nothing compared to the challenge facing those with cancer or their friends and family. I was reminded why raising this money is so important after hearing about an associate's current battle. I'd gladly up my distance if it meant we were one step closer to finding a cure for cancer.
Today is a day off. All the girls in the team who are taking on the 10km are getting together to eat a hearty Sunday lunch and no doubt talk training. Next week sets me off on my schedule proper and I'm still feeling pretty positive about what I can personally achieve.

If you want to sponsor me you can do so online: http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/sarahlay

S C-P x

No comments: